FERPA Enrollment Verification
IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR PARENTS
- The Family Educational Rights & Privacy Act of 1974 (“FERPA”)
- When a student is attending a post-secondary institution (regardless of age), the ability to control the release of information from the student’s education is vested in the student
- Before Dickinson College may forward information from your son or daughter’s education record to you or to any third party, Dickinson College must have written consent from your son or daughter
Additional information (including the full text of the federal regulation and a consent form) is available by clicking on the FERPA link on the Registrar’s Office Home Page (http://www.dickinson.edu/academics/resources/registrar/).
Typically, your health insurance and other organizations require verification that your son/daughter is enrolled as a full-time student. Enrollment verification for Dickinson students are handled by the National Student Clearinghouse. The majority of verifications are due after classes have begun in the fall.
Approximately ten days after the add/drop period (which takes place the first week of classes) your son/daughter may log into Banner Self-Service (the system they use to register for classes and see their grades) through the Dickinson Gateway – https://gateway.dickinson.edu – and obtain an official enrollment verification.
- He/She will go to https://gateway.dickinson.edu and enter his/her User Name and Password
- On the Banner Self Service tab, click on the Student & Financial Aid Menu, followed by Student Records then select the Enrollment Verification Request link – this will automatically take him/her to the National Student Clearinghouse web page
- Then follow the instructions from there to print an official verification directly from his/her computer
- This service is free of charge
If you have confirmed that the insurance company or organization cannot wait until September to receive this verification, please contact the Registrar’s Office and we will make special arrangements to obtain this verification early.