First-Year Experience Coordinator Recruitment
Apply to be a First-Year Coordinator
First-Year Experience Coordinators (or Coordinators) are 6 student leaders who are primarily involved in the planning and execution of First-Year Experience programming as well the coordination of the first-year interest groups and Mentors. The Coordinators assist with First-Year Mentor training, Orientation, and Extended Orientation programs. This group of student leaders meets weekly throughout the school year with the Director of New Student Programs to maintain the quality of the orientation experience for first-year students.
Each Coordinator has a specialized area in addition to their responsibility.
Specialized functions include:
- Social Media & Communications Coordinator
- Events Coordinator
- Staff Training and Development Coordinator
- Extended Orientation Coordinator
Qualifications of a Coordinator
- Completed at least one semester of college courses prior to applying for the position.
- Maintain a 2.75 GPA
- Be able to demonstrate a positive and enthusiastic regard for Dickinson and campus life -- both academic and co-curricular expectations and involvement.
- Be currently enrolled as a full-time student
- Must be a community member in good academic and disciplinary standing.
- Must possess strong leadership & interpersonal skills, creativity, a positive attitude and be self-motivated.
- Be a strong Role Model socially and academically.
- Possess a strong desire to mentor new students and assist them in their transition to college
- Roles and Responsibilities
Coordinators are Expected to:
- Help coordinate New Student Orientation
- Oversee the operations related to the First-Year Interest Groups
- Support a team of First-Year Mentors and act as a liasons with the Office of New Student Programs
- Help lead First-Year Mentor Training, Development and Meetings with the Director of New Student Programs
- Help run all scheduled program events and activities during new student orientation.
- Lead group discussions, field events, and related activities oriented to team building.
- Work as a member of the Fall Move-In Crew responsible for assisting students moving into their respective residence halls on two separate move-in days
- Participate in the first-year service experience
- Assist in all aspects of Fall Orientation materials preparation
- Be knowledgeable about campus resources and activities and be able to refer students to them.
- Conduct monthly meetings with your First-Year Mentor Team.
- Support and track student participation at extended orientation programming.
- Keep open communications with a team of First-Year Mentors regarding student concerns.
- Attend monthly staff meetings on the first Tuesday of each month for continued training and support.
- Meet with all mentors at least once a semester.
- Create one first-year program for the mentors.
- Attend at least one FIG meeting of each mentor.
- Follow up with mentors who do not attend events, social functions or meeting sessions.
- Promote and be present at many of the First-Year Programs such as Academic Open Houses, Admissions events, and events designed connect students to events.
- Work to support the mission and goals of the First Year (FYE) program.
- Uphold Dickinson College community standards.
- Be aware of other mentoring groups on campus and seek opportunities for collaboration.
$8 per hour or $100 STIPEND for Orientation