First-Year Mentor Recruitment
First-Year Mentors are responsible for facilitating the transition of a group of first year students into Dickinson College. Recruitment for Mentors begins on February 10 and runs through March 24. We are No Longer Accepting Applications for the First-Year Mentor Position.
First-Year Mentor Overview and Job Description
The First-Year Mentor (FY Mentor) provides an opportunity for upper class students to help new students experience a positive transition to college. The FY Mentors will be assigned to one First-Year Group (FYG). A FYG is made up of one FY Mentor and approximately 10-20 new students who select into the interest group. Groups meet regularly through the academic year and are based upon a specific interest, passion or identity that helps build small communities for new students as they begin their college experience. Mentors offer peer insight into academic and social life at college, as well as help introduce students to activities and events on campus.
Each Mentor is placed with a Campus Mentor to connect in with you and your mentees. Your Campus Mentor will provide support, guidance, and offer resources for a stronger connection.
Qualifications of a Mentor
- Completed at least one semester of college courses prior to applying for the position.
- Maintain a 2.75 GPA
- Be able to demonstrate a positive and enthusiastic regard for Dickinson and campus life -- both academic and co-curricular expectations and involvement.
- Be currently enrolled as a full-time student
- Must be a community member in good academic and disciplinary standing.
- Must possess strong leadership & interpersonal skills, creativity, a positive attitude and be self-motivated.
- Be a strong Role Model socially and academically.
- Possess a strong desire to mentor new students and assist them in their transition to college
Roles and Responsibilities
The FY Mentor is expected to:
- Serve as a role model and mentor to a group of 10-20 first-year students (FYGs) who are assigned to you based on a common theme or interest.
- Lead and facilitate incoming first-year students in all scheduled program events and activities during new student orientation.
- Lead group discussions, field events, and related activities oriented to team building, academic advisement, and discussions surrounding the common movie.
- Work as a member of the Fall Move-In Crew responsible for assisting students moving into their respective residence halls on two separate move-in days
- Participate in the first-year service experience with your group during orientation.
- Assist in all aspects of Fall Orientation materials preparation, as assigned.
- Participate in Pre-Orientation Adventure programs if your FYG is part of the Pre-Orientation experience.
During the Academic Year
- Be knowledgeable about campus resources and activities and be able to refer students to them.
- Complete monthly meetings with your FY Experience Coordinator.
- Support and track student participation at extended orientation programming.
- Keep open communications with the Director of New Student Programs regarding student concerns.
- Maintain strong and consistent communication with your Campus Mentor.
- Attend monthly staff meetings on the first Tuesday of each month for continued training and support.
- Meet with "FY mentees" weekly during September 2016 and connect with your students monthly or bi-monthly the rest of the academic year.
- Meet with all mentees at least once during the academic year on a 1:1 basis.
- Select at least one social program for your FIG to do together that focuses on the interest of your group.
- Introduce your group to social resources in their interest area.
- Follow up with mentees who do not attend events, social functions or meeting sessions with the FIG.
- Promote and excitement around and be present at many of the First-Year Programs such as Academic Open Houses, Admissions events, and events designed connect students to events.
- Work to support the mission and goals of the First Year (FYE) program.
- Uphold Dickinson College community standards.
- Be aware of other mentoring groups on campus and seek opportunities for collaboration.
- MUST participate in FYM selection for upcoming years.
Required Dates for Employment
- FY mentors are formally employed from August 16, 2017 - May 1, 2019
- Attend the following required meeting session: Friday, April 28, 6-8 p.m.
- Attend the following required training sessions: August 16-29, 8 a.m.-9 p.m.
- Attend and participate in New Student Orientation: August 23-27
Be available the following fall dates for FY Mentor meetings:
- Tuesday, September 26, 12- 1 p.m.
- Tuesday, October 24, 12-1 p.m.
- Tuesday, November 28, 12-1 p.m.
- Tuesday January 30, 12-1 p.m.
- Tuesday February 27, 12-1 p.m.
- Tuesday March 27, 12-1 p.m.
$150 stipend per semester