Students hard at work in the library

What should I do if I’m having difficulties accessing my Dickinson e-mail through Gateway?

When attempting to log in at, be sure you are typing in the correct user name and password that is obtained through your application status page. It is sometimes necessary to clear your Internet cache or update your browser for Gateway to work effectively. Issues or questions with Gateway should be directed to the Dickinson Help Desk at or 717-245-1000. If you are having difficulties over a weekend, please know that your message will be responded to as quickly as possible when staff arrive to the office on Monday.

Why can’t I find Pre-Orientation registration on Gateway?

Pre-Orientation registration is available in a separate portal. You can review the adventure program options and find the registration link on the Pre-Orientation page

Why can’t I access the health forms?

The health forms are accessed in an Online Student Health portal that requires users to register using their Dickinson email addresses so their identity can be authenticated. If you attempted to register using a Gmail, Hotmail or other email account, please try again with your Dickinson email. If you continue to have difficulties, please contact or 717-245-1938.

I can't get my Health Forms in on time. Is this okay?

If you miss the July 1 deadline, we request that you get your Health Forms in as soon as possible. If you are unable to get an appointment with your treatment provider in time, please make sure you complete all of the health history and immunization information through the online student health portal available through the Dickinson Gateway and send the Wellness Center an email at to let us know when your appointment will be so we know when to expect the form from your treatment provider. You will receive noncompliance notices until all of your forms are complete. Please note that you will NOT be able to move into your dorm in August without having completed and submitted these forms.

What is the address that we need to send the Health Forms to?

You must complete the student forms online. The treatment provider form may be sent via email to,  fax at 717-245-1938, or US postal mail to:
Dickinson College Student Health Services
P.O. Box 1773, Carlisle, PA 17013

How do I find my Student ID number?

After you log into Gateway, go to Banner Self Service / Student / Student Records / Student Info. Your ID number will be on the right next to your name.

I deleted the e-newsletter that was emailed to me and would like to reference something included in there. How can I see it again?

A PDF of each monthly e-newsletter will be posted on our Newsletter Archive page for easy reference.

What kind of computer should I get and what are the system requirements?

Answers to all of your computer and technology-related questions can be found on the Library & Information Services Web site.

What if I am in need of an accommodation due to a disability?

To disclose a disability and request related accommodations, please visit Disability Services for information on how to proceed. If you would like to request extended time for placement tests, or have any questions about accommodations, please email

Do I need to take the Math Placement Exam?

Yes. All incoming students must take the placement exam, unless they are explicitly excluded. (Exceptions to taking the exam can be found on the Mathematics Placement Exam Information page). The Mathematics Placement Exam is a 25-question, 30-minute exam written by the Mathematical Association of America. It is a calculus readiness exam. As such, the exam is used to evaluate your proficiency in pre-calculus and there is no calculus on this placement exam. Taking the placement exam now is beneficial because it allows you to have the material still fresh in your mind from high school. More detailed information can be found on the Placement Information page.

Do I need to take a Language Placement Exam?

Dickinson College requires students to demonstrate that they have completed work in a foreign language through the intermediate level (which typically means 3-4 semesters worth of the language). If you have studied a foreign language in the past and plan to continue with the study of that language, this exam will determine your appropriate placement. Spanish, Italian, Latin, French, Chinese and German exams should be competed online by July 1 and may be accessed through Gateway. More detailed information about the language placement exams can be found on the Placement Information page.

Are the Chemistry and Music Placement Exams necessary?

No. If you do not plan on taking Music or Chemistry classes at Dickinson, then you do not need to take these placement exams.

How do I find my First-Year Seminar?

Firstly, open up two different webpages: your Dickinson Gateway and the First-Year Seminar List and Descriptions page. Then, on your Gateway, go to: Banner Self-Service / Student / Course Selection / Student Detail Schedule and press "Submit" for Fall 2016. Then you will see one course listed "FYS - 100 -XX" (XX being your two-digit seminar number). Now, go to the list of seminars and scroll down until you find your seminar number.

When do I register for classes?

You received advising and course selection information in the mailing you received in May. Academic advising will happen by phone from July 11-15. Online course selection will take place July 18-25. Please note: You will not be able to make course selections until you have completed your advising appointment. Details about your call date will be posted on the advising page. Advisors request that you have possible classes picked out for your schedule. The course offering for this fall can be found on the Gateway through Banner Self-Service / Student / Course Selection / Class Schedule Search and press submit for Fall 2016.

What do I do if I missed my summer advising call?

If you missed your summer advising call, please call the summer advising office at 717-245-1997 between noon and 8 p.m. Monday-Thursday or between noon and 6 p.m. on Friday.

How many classes do students typically take?

A typical semester for a Dickinson student consists of 4 courses (at 1 credit each). As a first-year student, you will already have 1 course in place in your schedule, your First-Year Seminar, so you will need to pick 3 classes. Dickinson offers several courses (mainly in the Music and Dance departments) that are worth a half credit. You can take up to 4.5 credits in any given semester, so you can choose one of these classes if that is something that interests you. 

Can I take 5 full-credit classes?

As a first semester first-year student? No. A student is able to take 5 full-credit classes twice in his or her Dickinson career, but this is impossible to do during your first semester here. Going to college can be an overwhelming process, and we try our best to help you acclimate as smoothly and as successfully as possible and by asking that you not "overload" during your first semester, we hope that your transition will be that much easier.

When should I buy my books?

The Bookstore provides a list of required books for all courses. You can order your books in August once you know which courses you are registered for and they will be ready for you upon arrival.

When do I move in?

The general move-in day for new students is Wednesday, August 24, between 8-11 a.m. First-year students will report to your assigned residence halls to check in and transfer students will report to the Student Life Office in the lower level of the HUB. Your housing assignment will be sent to you by early August. There will be a late check in available from noon-4 p.m. in the Student Life Office in the lower level of the HUB.

Students participating in a Pre-Orientation Adventure Program will move in on Sunday, August 21, between 8-11 a.m.

How should I dress for Orientation?

In general, Orientation is very casual and you should dress comfortably.

When will I find out who my roommate is, and how are roommates paired?

Your room assignment and your roommate information will be emailed to you in early August. Contact information for your roommate will be provided to you at that time, and we encourage you to contact your roommate over the summer to begin the process of getting to know each other and to coordinate who will bring specific items. You should also discuss how you will share expenses such as room carpeting and/or a microfridge. Learn more on the Housing/Move-In page

Roommates are matched using the responses from the survey form that’s in the Dickinson Gateway (due July 1). It is important that you fill it out accurately, rather than having your parent(s) or someone else fill it out so you can be appropriately matched with a roommate. First-year students may also request to live with a specific person. You will also do this on your housing survey from by listing the name of you preferred roommate. This must be a mutual request from both parties. We encourage you to not feel any pressure or stress to find a roommate as this is simply an option for some who connect with someone prior to arriving at Dickinson. For any questions about this process, contact Residence Life & Housing at or 717-245-1556.

When should I sign up for a meal plan?

All incoming students are automatically enrolled in the Any 20 unless they indicate otherwise. This plan offers 20 meals a week. We recommend that all first-year students participate in the Any 20. Learn more about meal plans at Dickinson. For more information, check out Dickinson Dining Services which will tell you where the office is located and how to obtain and use your student ID card.

What is my mailing address?

HUB Boxes are assigned to students over the summer, and your HUB address will be sent to you in late July via your Dickinson e-mail account.

Do I need to purchase the health insurance coverage offered by the college?

All full-time matriculating students attending Dickinson College must enroll in or waive out of the insurance coverage offered by the college. Students who wish to waive out of the coverage must be U.S. citizens and provide proof of comparable private coverage. All full-time matriculating students who are NOT U.S. citizens will be automatically enrolled and charged for this insurance coverage. Learn more on the Student Health Information page.

When do I get my student ID card, and how can it be used?

Dining Services provides each student with a photo identification card, which is the official College ID. New students will have their photo for their ID taken during Orientation.

What do I do if I have questions about my bill?

If you have any questions or concerns about your billing statement, please contact Student Accounts at 717-245-1953 or You can also visit the Student Accounts webpage for frequently asked questions and more.