Outreach to Students and Parents
Sending an Introductory E-mail
- Identify students by high school, location or interest using the myDAVS portal.
- Click on student name(s) to reveal “Prospective Students Information Form.”
- In the message, identify yourself as a Dickinson grad or parent and as a member of Dickinson Admissions Volunteer Society (DAVS). Alumni offer a brief description of your Dickinson experience, what you have done since and what you are doing now. Parents, offer a description of your child’s experience.
- Encourage the student’s further exploration of Dickinson and offer to be a local resource. Encourage a campus visit if they have not yet done so, and offer a local interview if they have not yet interviewed. Encourage the student to submit an application.
- Use the student information form to “claim” students to whom you send an e-mail. Check “Add to list of your prospective students.” Click “Claim Student.” Names of students you claim will be listed under “My students” on the myDAVS home screen.
- If there is no response from the student after one week, follow up with a phone call if you wish.
- Report responses of interest to email@example.com.
Visit (or Re-Visit) Opportunities
Students may register online or by calling the admissions office at 800-644-1773.
I’m unfamiliar with Dickinson. What do I need to know?
Dickinson was founded in September 1783, the first college chartered in the officially recognized United States. We are a national liberal arts college with approximately 2,400 students—all undergraduates. The college is a national leader in global education as well as in environmental and sustainability education and green initiatives.
Where is Dickinson?
We are located in Carlisle, PA., which is in the Capital Region of Pennsylvania, approximately 20 miles west of the state capital of Harrisburg; less than two hours north of Baltimore and Washington, D.C.; two hours west of Philadelphia; and three-and-a-half hours west of NYC.
How do I get there?
Situated at the junction of the Pennsylvania Turnpike (I-76) and Interstate 81, Carlisle is within convenient driving distance from many East Coast cities. During the school year, Dickinson break shuttles are available to Harrisburg, BWI and Philadelphia airports and the Harrisburg bus and train stations. Charter buses also operate from campus to New York City, northern New Jersey and New England.
What are the strongest majors?
Some majors are more popular than others, but all are strong. For the class of 2015, 77 percent graduated with a Bachelor of Arts degree, and 23 percent graduated with a Bachelor of Science degree. The 10 most popular majors were international business & management, political science, economics, psychology, English, biology, international studies, mathematics, history and French.
What is the average high-school grade point average for admits?
Rather than looking for a particular GPA, the admissions committee is looking for mostly As and Bs in a challenging curriculum.
What is Dickinson’s policy regarding standardized test-score submission?
At Dickinson, submitting SAT1 or ACT scores is optional for admission. This policy was designed for students who have demonstrated academic excellence in the classroom and who do not believe their standardized test scores accurately reflect their abilities. Test- score submission is required for international students applying for admission.
What percentage of the class gets financial aid?
68 percent of the class of 2018 received grant aid and/or scholarship assistance from the college. All admitted students who demonstrated financial need and who met application deadlines received aid.
How do I apply for financial aid?
Students applying for need-based aid must submit both the CSS Profile for institutional aid and the FAFSA for federal aid.
Does Dickinson offer merit aid and how do I apply for merit scholarships?
Yes, the following scholarships are all renewable for four years: John Dickinson, $20,000 per year; Benjamin Rush, $15,000 per year; John Montgomery, $10,000 per year. There is no separate application for Dickinson’s merit awards.