Recruitment & Selection Process
Resident Advisor Position
The Resident Advisor (RA) position plays an integral role within Residence Life & Housing. Students selected to assume this important leadership role will have significant, focused responsibility for residential life in an assigned area.
RAs are enthusiastic students and leaders who have direct influence on campus culture and develop valuable leadership skills such as communication, building rapport, and managing conflict while making a substantive contribution to the campus community.
Resident Advisor recruitment & selection process will start in December and will continue during the spring semester. The selection process is designed to help applicants get to know new people, learn about themselves, and gain important skills. To apply, candidates participate in a rigorous selection process that includes:
- Attending an Information Meeting. By attending the information sessions, you’ll learn more about the role and have an opportunity to ask questions.
- Completing an application, submitting a resume, and providing two references.
- Attending group process interview which will take place Sunday February 15, 2015, at 3:00 PM to 6:00 PM.
- Attending an individual interview which will take place in late February to early March.
Qualifications to Apply
- Applicants must be a currently enrolled full-time student who have completed one semester.
- Candidates must have demonstrated exemplary personal conduct in accordance with the Community Standards.
- Students currently on stayed suspension or suspension will not be considered for the position.
- Repeated behavioral or conduct related issues may also result in candidates being removed from the selection process.
- Willingness to give priority commitment to the RA position.
- A genuine enthusiasm for all the Dimensions of a Dickinson education.
- Maintain a 2.75 or higher semester and cumulative GPA throughout the course of employment.
- Completed at least 8 credits before the fall 2015 semester.
- Must return early for both fall and spring academic terms for RA training and are expected to stay on campus until residence halls close for the semester.
- Will serve in an on-call rotation with other RAs periodically over the course of the academic year.
- Maintain exemplary personal conduct in accordance with the Community Standards.
- Assist in necessary aspects of the Residence Life & Housing program including opening, RA selection, closing as well as roommate agreements and community action plans.
- All candidates must participate in the RA Group Process for candidacy consideration (exceptions are made for students who are abroad). Candidates must be current enrolled students at Dickinson College to be eligible to apply. Priority is given to candidates applying for the full academic year.
Documents Needed to Apply
- RA applications are available December 3, 2014
- Information Session - Wednesday, December 3, 2014 at 5:00pm in Althouse 08
- Information Session- Monday, December 8, 2014 at 4:00pm in Althouse 207
- Information Session- Wednesday, January 21, 2015 at 7:00pm in Althouse 08
- Information Session- Sunday, January 25, 2015 at 4:00pm in Althouse 08
- Information Session- Thursday, January 29, 2015 at 12:00pm in Althouse 08
- Information Session- Monday, February 2, 2015 at 8:00pm in Althouse 08
- RA applications due- Monday, February 9, 2015 by 11:59pm
- Phase 1 Group Process - Sunday, February 15, 2015 from 3:00pm-6:00pm (Required, unless abroad)
- Invitations sent inviting applicants to Phase 2 Interviews following Phase 1
- Phase 2 Individual Interviews - February 25, 2015 to March 6, 2015
- Offers will be sent on a rolling basis, starting mid March.
The primary selection process occurs during the spring semester. However, in the fall a small number of positions may need to be filled for the upcoming spring semester. The positions are filled typically by alternates from our previous spring semester or past RAs returning from being abroad. However, in the event that we are unable to fill all positions using those two groups additional candidates may be considered.
For students who have worked for Residence Life & Housing at least one semester as a Resident Advisor, the following positions are available:
Community Advisor (CA)
House & Apartment Manager (HAM)