On this page you will find information about careers pursued by Italian Studies majors, skills Italian Studies majors develop and career-related Web sites relevant to the major. Visit the department page to learn more about the Italian Studies program.
It is important to remember that your major does not determine what your career will be. With a liberal arts education, YOU, not your major, will determine your career path.
Example job titles of Dickinson alumni who majored in Italian Studies include:
- General Manager
- Vice President
- Communication: Foreign language majors gain skills in oral expression, critical reading, translation, clear writing, editing and interpreting in foreign languages.
- Human Relations: Appreciation for other cultures, adaptability to different environments, and receptivity to new ideas are developed by both studying abroad and studying other cultures.
- Research & Problem Solving: Comparison of ideas, problem identification, developing problem solving techniques, and information analysis are skills strengthened through a foreign language major.
- Education & Instruction: Many foreign language majors gain valuable instructional skills by tutoring others in both the oral and written aspects of the language.
Career-Related Web Sites
- Careers for Foreign Language Majors - Suggestions of possible fields of employment, job listings, and recommended books on a variety of languages.
- International Language Job Center - View English job offers, foreign language job offers, or visit the site's career clinic.
- Kwintessential - language, culture, customs and etiquette information.
- Overseas Jobs - A search engine to find jobs overseas and across the globe.
- Resources for International Job Opportunities (Riley Guide) - A guide for international jobs by country and other how-to to guide your search.
- The Electronic Embassy - This site provides overviews of a variety of foreign embassies, links to their websites and other information about travel.
- Translation Services - This site will translate text or web sites between English and Spanish, French, German, Italian or Portuguese.
For additional career resources and links, please visit the Job Search Web Link page.