On this page you will find information about careers pursued by German majors, skills German majors develop and career-related Web sites relevant to the major. Visit the department page to learn more about the German program.
It is important to remember that your major does not determine what your career will be. With a liberal arts education, YOU, not your major, will determine your career path.
Example job titles of Dickinson alumni who majored in German include:
- Agency Information Technology Officer
- Business Development Director
- Manager for Strategic Initiatives
- Team Leader of Language Services
- Communication: Foreign language majors gain skills in oral expression, critical reading, translation, clear writing, editing and interpreting in foreign languages.
- Human Relations: Appreciation for other cultures, adaptability to different environments, and receptivity to new ideas are developed by both studying abroad and studying other cultures.
- Research & Problem Solving: Comparison of ideas, problem identification, developing problem solving techniques, and information analysis are skills strengthened through a foreign language major.
- Education & Instruction: Many foreign language majors gain valuable instructional skills by tutoring others in both the oral and written aspects of the language.
Career-Related Web Sites
EscapeArtist.com - Overseas job opportunities, tools for moving overseas, travel links, etc.
International Language Job Center - View English job offers, foreign language job offers, or visit the site's career clinic.
Translation Services - This site will translate text or web sites between English and Spanish, French, German, Italian or Portuguese.
Worldwide Business Briefings - A guide to business customs, etiquette and cross-cultural communication.
For additional career resources and links, please visit the Job Search Web Link page.