On this page you will find information about careers pursued by English majors, skills English majors develop and career-related Web sites relevant to the major. Visit the department page to learn more about the English program.
It is important to remember that your major does not determine what your career will be. With a liberal arts education, YOU, not your major, will determine your career path.
Example job titles of Dickinson alumni who majored in English include:
- Assistant Editor
- Columnist - Investigative Reporter
- Email Marketing Manager
- English Teacher
- Online Reference/Instruction Librarian
- Research Analyst, Education & Human
- Communication: English majors develop the ability to write clearly and accurately.
- Analytical Thinking: English majors learn to create and evaluate logical arguments and generate new ideas.
- Research: English students are able to gather information and synthesize ideas from different sources to write reports and present conclusions.
- Insights & Understanding: Through the study of literature, majors acquire an understanding of human behavior, ideas, and thought.
Career-Related Web Sites
- National Communications Association - Job search database where you can browse listings and search jobs based on specific criteria.
- American Communication Association
- International Communication Association
- TV Jobs: Communication/Journalism: Employment Bulletin Board -Explore employment opportunities in cable, corporate-industrial, education, post production, radio, and television.
- Tiger Jobs - Jobs in sales, marketing, advertising, business, and customer service.
- The Association for Women in Communications - Offers links to job opportunities and general links of interest to female communications professionals as well as networking opportunities.
- Opportunities in Public Affairs - View job opportunities in areas such as, Capitol Hill, public relations, print and broadcast, entry level, government affairs, and public policy.
- Advertising & Media Jobs - Extensive list of job opportunities in advertising, public relations, and media.
- Advertising Age - Connects employers and job seekers by allowing you to search for jobs and post and edit your resume.
- The Ad Council - A private, non-profit organization that produces, distributes and promotes public service campaigns.
- Advertising and Public Relations - An overview of careers in these fields.
- Talent Zoo – Search for advertising jobs according to job title and location.
Top Advertising Agencies
- The National Association of Broadcasters - Search broadcast employment by category, post your resume, or explore links to other broadcast employment sites.
- Broadcast Employment Services - TV Jobs
- Mediabristo - jobs in marketing, advertising, publishing, sales, PR, digital media, television, design, and more.
- Cox Enterprises - Offers jobs in the broadcasting field.
- Internet Broadcasting Systems - careers in digital media.
- Journalism Jobs
- Newsjobs.Net - Lots of terrific resources and links for journalists.
- Journalism Jobs - The Job Board for Media Professionals
- A Guide to Writing and Journalism Jobs - A helpful collection of some of the best job resources for jobs in writing, journalism, and publishing.
- Investigative Reporters & Editors
- American Journalism Review - Job Links and other Journalism info.
- Occupational Outlook Handbook: Writers and Editors
- Editor and Publishers Classifieds - Search the job database for opportunities in new media, newspapers and publishing.
- Public Relations Society of America - Provides access to more than 2,000 public relations, communications and marketing jobs.
- The PR Coach
- Profnet Hiring Line - Connects journalists to expert sources
Top Public Relations Agencies
- Communications International Group/Omnicon
- Edelman Public Relations Worldwide
- Hill and Knowlton
- Ketchum Communications
- Weber Shandwick Worldwide
- Editor & Publisher Career Center - Search by industry, position and location.
- American Copy Editors Society - Non-profit organization that works towards the advancement of copy editors.
Top Publishing Houses:
- CMP Publications
- Conde Nast Publications
- Hearst Magazines
- International Data Group
- John Wiley and Sons
- Macmillan Publishing
- Pearson Education
- Random House
- Reed Business Information USA (formerly Cahners Publishing)
- Taunton Press
- Ziff Davis
- Hire Minds - Leading search firm focused on marketing recruiting.
- Authorlink - Resource to help book publishers.
- American Copy Editors Society - Provides info about job openings for copy editors.
- Sun Oasis Jobs
- PoeWar – List of available opportunities.
- Absolute WriteAssociated Writing Programs - Provides resources and support to writers.
- Burry Man - Provides freelance job links and resources for playwriters, screenwriters and others.
- iUniverse.com - Help from industry experts in self-publishing.
- Science Writing - A Guide to Careers in Science Writing sponsored by the Council for the Advancement of Science Writing.
- Children's Writing Resource Center - Offers tools to succeed as a children's writer as well as offers access to research databases and an on-line E-zine for children's writers.
- Romance Writers - Describes the romance genre, offers the latest news and current romance bestsellers as well as links to authors, publishers, and Romance Writers Association chapters.
For additional career resources and links, please visit the Job Search Web Link page.