A Dickinson externship consists of a two-to-ten-day unpaid shadowing experiences for students over the January break, during which students become immersed in the host’s daily activities in order to gain a better understanding of their career field. Externship hosts are Dickinson alumni, parents or friends of the College who represent diverse career areas and locations.
EXTERNSHIP APPLICATION NOW LIVE! --Due November 9th
APPLICATION & MATCHING PROCESS- Due November 9th
3 Step Process
1. Fill out the Externship Application & Preference Form on the career center website at https://www.dickinson.edu/externships. Application includes the following:
- Externship preference form. (Students should preference 3 externship sites of interest. You may choose less, but are then not guaranteed a match)
- Demographic information
- Short essay on why you made the choices you did (250 word limit per essay)
2. Upload your resume to Handshake on the career center website
3. Apply to the Dickinson Externship Program (job number 1090653) via Handshake by submitting your resume to the job posting entitled “Dickinson Externship Program”
Students will be matched by the Career Center. The aim is to maximize your options, so unmatched students will be encouraged to consider open externships. Students will be notified of their assignments on November 17th and a brief orientation will take place that week for matched students. For questions please contact Annie Kondas, Associate Director of Alumni Career Services and Externships at firstname.lastname@example.org or (717) 245-1740.
INTERESTED IN BEING A VOLUNTEER HOST?
Yes! I want to Volunteer to Host a Student at a Job Shadow/Externship: Externship Volunteer Sign-Up Form
Want to learn more about hosting? please contact Annie Kondas, Associate Director, Alumni Career Services and Externships at email@example.com or (717) 245-1740 to discuss the program and what is involved with hosting.
January Sessions Dates
Session I: January 8-12
Session II: January 15-19
*Hosts determine the number of days, which session and number of sessions.
Externships are designed to give students a sense of the work environment and allow them to explore career interests and goals. Students may be included in the following activities:
- Engage in informational interviews with employees
- Observe interactions with customers and clients
- Meet with decision makers
- Tour facilities
- Attend staff meetings
- Assist with project or tasks
Check out our sample three-day externship schedule to better understand what could be involved in a job shadowing experience.
Information for student participants in the Externship program
Information for Volunteer Hosts in the Externship program
For additional information about the Externship program, please contact Annie Kondas, Associate Director, Alumni Career Services and Externships at firstname.lastname@example.org or (717) 245-1740.