DreamCatcher students participate in homework study group after school and have fun climbing the rock wall.
CommServ is a network of student groups that reach into the local community to meet a variety of needs on a regular basis. These groups build and maintain strong community partnerships through sustained interactions over several years. The coordinators of each student group meet weekly for reflection, training, and leadership development as they seek to understand the complexity of community needs and services. The mentors meet regularly with their coordinators and weekly serve through their community partners. Two student staff members help coordinate 26 student leaders that run the weekly CommServ groups.
Learn more about the weekly *CommServ Groups*.
- Weekly CommServ meetings Monday 5-6 pm
- Student Co-Leaders 2014-2015: Becca Feldman '15 and Julianna Barr '17
- Staff Coordinator:
Apply to be a Coordinator for the 2014-15 Academic Year. Deadline to apply extended to March 31st!
Each CommServ group has two-three student coordinators that organize volunteers, meet with the community partner, and participate in leadership training. Coordinators meet on Monday nights from 5-6 pm during each academic semester. As a Coordinator, one will:
- Increase individual understanding of community needs and issues through education and dialogue
- Engage in self-reflection, generating an understanding of one’s self, one’s position and privilege, and how that affect one’s responsibility and work within the community
- Increase professional skills including communication, organization, management and program development
- Reflect on local community partners by exploring the connection between academic work and possible vocations. One way this is accomplished is through a Thursday Thought written weekly by a coordinator.
Volunteers are the backbone of the community service that occurs in our community. In 2013-2014, 150+ students participated in a CommServ, weekly community service, group!
- To participate in CommServ, all volunteers must:
- Complete a Volunteer Application
- Complete an online education process about safety of volunteering with children and vulnerable adults
- Complete an on-line Background and Sexual Offenders Check
- Participate in training for the specific each group
- Committ to volunteer for 1 semester at least once a week within the program
To join CommServ, please look complete the Volunteer Interest Survey and return this to the Office of Community Service. You will then be contacted to complete an application and with more information about a specific program in need of volunteers. We want to help match your interests with the needs in our community in the best fashion for both sides. Thank you for your interest in service to the greater Carlisle community. We look forward to serving beside you this year!