Mission: The Multilingual Writing Center supports the mission of the foreign language departments to develop students' critical thinking skills and fluency in writing. The MWC assists writers of all levels and abilities who are working on essays written in Arabic, Chinese, French, German, Hebrew, Italian, Japanese, Portuguese, Russian, or Spanish. Trained tutors and Overseas Assistants will work one-on-one with writers on a variety of concerns, including developing ideas; understanding genres; organizing material; crafting sentences; analyzing and correcting patterns of error; and building vocabulary.
We seek to help students of all levels and abilities to:
- increase their fluency and mature as writers;
- develop a writing process that works for them;
- understand the difference between composing and translating;
- understand how cultural differences manifest in writing;
- enter the cultural universe constructed by the second language.
The Tutoring Experience: Dickinson writing tutors, regardless of target language, all follow a similar philosophy and pedagogy - that is, student-centered, collaborative, and process-oriented. In every tutoring session, tutors respect the writer's authority and autonomy in order to help the writer achieve her goals.
The Multlingual Writing Center is located on the lower level of Waidner-Spahr Library.