Oboist Anne Crowell, ’12
Singers and instrumentalists of all levels of experience and expertise can benefit from the unique challenges and rewards of preparing for a public performance.
- Degree Recitals (majors: junior and senior recitals)
- The upper divisional jury is a prerequisite for the Junior Recital, corresponding to course no. MUPS 324. The Junior Recital is typically given in the junior year. If the student is studying abroad during the junior year, the Junior Recital may be given at the end of the sophomore year or at the beginning of the senior year, with permission from the private instructor. The maximum length of a Junior Recital is 60 minutes of music. The Junior Recital may be combined with another student's Junior Recital on one date.
- The Senior Recital is given in the senior year, corresponding to course MUPS 424. MUPS 423 also entails a senior project (written, advised by the major instrument/voice professor). The maximum length of a Senior Recital is 75 minutes of music.
- Non-Degree Recitals — by permission of instructor and the department (majors, minors and selected non-majors)
- Majors, minors, and non-majors may, by permission of the private instructor and of the department, present non-degree recitals. 2 or 3 students may combine their programs on one date.
- Graduating Seniors' Recital
- This recital is open to any graduating seniors who have taken lessons during their course of study at Dickinson College. Priority is given to non-majors. The recital takes place on the Friday preceding commencement. Individual selections are not to exceed 5-8 minutes of music. Performances in ensembles are highly encouraged (2 or more seniors performing duets and other chamber music).
- Noonday Concerts
- Chamber Music Concerts
- Music Department Co-Curricular Ensembles
- Dickinson College Music Outreach Program
- So-called ‘gigs’ referred through the department, on campus and beyond (coordinated via the Chamber Music Coordinator, Michael Cameron)
- Music festivals and opportunities abroad
- Our students have pursued music studies in England, Russia, China, Austria, France, Germany etc. while abroad. They also performed in China, UK, Germany, Italy, etc. Our students have participated in festivals such as Brevard, International Music Institute and Festival USA, International Musical Arts Institute, among others.
- Ensembles in the area (e.g. Central Pennsylvania Symphony, Gettysburg Chamber Orchestra, etc.)