Frequently Asked Questions

Can I do Open Enrollment anytime throughout the year?
No, you have until the deadline of June 2, 2017 to complete the enrollment process for 2017-2018. After that date, open enrollment will close and will no longer be accessible.

What if I need to make retirement or insurance changes during the year?
You are able to make changes to your retirement contributions through Self Service Banner anytime during the year. If you have a life status qualifying event, you may be able to change your insurance options. You should contact Human Resource Services to make insurance changes.

How much may I contribute to a Flexible Spending Account?
The maximum an individual may contribute to a Health Care Expense Account is $2,600 per plan year. 

The maximum for a Dependent Care Expense Account is a 'family maximum'.  The combined limit between both spouses may not exceed $5,000 or your own personal limit if less than $5,000.  Dickinson employees who utilize the Dickinson College Children's Center receive a discounted tuition rate.  The amount of this discount is included in the $5,000 family maximum exlusion and should be considered when choosing your deduction amount.  Any benefits in excess of $5,000 are included in gross income with applicable taxes withheld on the final pay cycle of the calendar year.

I entered a "0" amount for my Flexible Spending Account. Why does it say that I have elected to start the benefit?
The system assumes since you've entered something in the per-pay amount, that you would like to start the benefit. You can go back to that election and choose 'Stop Benefit' to end it.

I want to sign up for Dental Insurance for the first time. I selected 'Add Choice', but I am getting an error message that says: "A valid plan must be chosen". What am I doing wrong?
You need to select either Employee, Employee+Spouse/EE+Child, or Employee+Spouse+Child(ren)/Employee+Children coverage. Then you should 'Add Choice'.

How secure is this open enrollment process?
We have taken every precaution to ensure that the Open Enrollment process is as secure as possible. You log into the Dickinson Gateway, our secure portal.  Because there is no paper to go through the mail system, there is no chance that the information can get "lost" or that someone else might open your mail.

If I can do Open Enrollment as many times as I want up until the deadline, how will I know you have the right information?
Human Resource Services will have the most recent information that you have completed. All previous entries are overwritten. Please be sure to complete the process by clicking on the 'Complete' button.

Since I am doing this on-line, does that mean I no longer have to do any paperwork?
You need to complete paperwork for Human Resource Services if you are adding/removing a dependent from your coverage and if you are enrolling or changing your level of Accidental Death and Dismemberment coverage.  Contributing money for the first time in retirement also requires an on-line enrollment directly with either TIAA and/or Fidelity.

How do I see my estimated take home pay?
Once you 'Complete' the open enrollment process, a link will be displayed to 'Estimate Take Home Pay'. By clicking on that link, you will see an estimate of your July 1 pay.

How do I get a copy of my information?
To get a copy, use the Print button on your browser to print a copy of the information right off the web. If you forgot to print it, you can go back in to open enrollment before the deadline and print from your web browser. Your elections will also be verified via email the following day to your Dickinson email address.  You will also receive a final email confirmation in mid-June.

I don't remember my PIN for Banner Self Service. How do I find out what it is?
Your PIN is only required if you access Self Service Banner directly and do not go through the Gateway.  Please contact either the HelpDesk (x1000) or Human Resource Services to have your PIN reset.