Outside Scholarship Opportunities
From time to time the Financial Aid office learns of outside scholarships or low interest loan programs for which our students may be eligible. Some scholarship opportunities are open to all students, while others may have eligibility requirements, such as residence in a particular state or region. Be sure to check back often as new scholarships are posted frequently.
Scholarships for all Students
FastWeb. This web site offers an online searchable database of more than 1.5 million scholarships. Used by colleges across the United States, FastWeb is one of the largest, most accurate and frequently updated scholarship databases. If you supply an email address, they will notify you when new awards that match your profile are added to the database. FastWeb compares your background with a database of awards. Only those awards that fit your profile are identified as matches. Registration with this service enters your name on a mailing list that will be available to companies marketing education products and services. If you wish to ensure that your name is not placed on a mailing list, please inform the service as your register.products and services.
- The College Board. The College Board offers an online tool to help students locate scholarships, internships, grants, and loans matching their education level, talents, and background. Complete a short questionnaire to receive a list of potential awards.
- ScholarshipExperts.com provides a free database of scholarships that match students' hobbies, interests and academic backgrounds.
Special Interest Scholarships and Loans
- Hispanic Scholarship Fund ~ The Hispanic Scholarship Fund offers a number of scholarships to high school seniors and students currently enrolled in college. Additional information and application links can be found on the organization’s website.
- Scholarships for members of the United Methodist Church ~ The General Board of Higher Education and Ministry provides scholarships and loans to help supplement the financial needs of students who are active, full members of a United Methodist Church. Funding for these scholarships and loans are provided through offerings, wills, annuities, and other designated gifts. Information and application materials are available on their website. The United Methodist Higher Education Foundation (UMHEF) is a non-profit foundation that has been helping students pay for college since 1965. UMHEF is committed to supporting the dreams of students who want to further their education at a United Methodist college, university or seminary of their choice. Information and application materials are available on their website.
- Scholarships for Maryland Residents ~ Central Scholarship offers scholarships and an interest-free loan program to students from Maryland. Applicants must be US citizens or permanent residents with Maryland residency at least one year before enrolling in college and meet grade point average and family income guidelines. Complete details, including an online application, can be found on their website.
- Scholarships for LGBTQ students ~ The Point Foundation empowers promising LGBTQ students to achieve their full academic and leadership potential - despite the obstacles often put before them - to make a significant impact on society. Point promotes change through education, mentorship, leadership development and community service training.
- AAC's Behavioral Health Academic Scholarship. American Addiction Centers is offering $10,000 in scholarships for those majoring in behavioral health, psychology, or other programs focusing on treating mental health and/or substance abuse issues. Eligibility: High School graduate by summer 2015, current full- or part-time undergraduate and graduate students entering or enrolled in behavioral health, nursing, counseling, psychology, social work, marriage/family therapy, or other program focusing on treating mental health and/or substance abuse issues. Must be US Citizen. Requirements: Submit application form with essay "Why are you interested in pursuing a career in behavioral sciences?" (800 words max.) by May 31, 2015. Application forms can be found at http://americanaddictioncenters.org/behavioral-health-academic-scholarship/ Winners will be notified June 26, 2015 and awards will be disbursed on August 14,2015.
- Kids' Chance of Pennsylvania provides scholarships to children of Pennsylvania workers who have been killed or seriously injured in a work-related accident resulting in financial need. Click here for more information.