Maintaining F-1 Status
Bring all of your immigration documents to International Student Orientation. Copies will be made for your permanent file.
- Complete your degree program by the expected completion date/graduation date stated in item 5 of your I-20 form.
- Complete a minimum of 3 credits each semester. Keep in mind that you need to take an average of 4 credits per semester to graduate on time.
- You must report any of the following changes within 10 days:
- Change of physical address
- Change of HUB Box, phone number, or email
- Change of legal name or citizenship
- Change in major
- Notify us as soon as possible if you will complete your studies before the expected completion date on your I-20 form.
- Do NOT work on-campus more than 20 hours per week while school is in session. Do NOT work off-campus without authorization.
- Make sure you obtain a travel signature from Sonja Paulson, Leslie Miller or Luis Apolinario Johnson on your I-20 before you travel outside of the US. Remember to bring all other required documentation with you on your trip.
- If you plan to transfer to another school, you must notify us before the start of classes for the next term or within your 60-day grace period.
- If you wish to work under Optional Practical Training (OPT) upon completing your studies, you must meet with us with your completed application about 3 months before you complete your studies.
- If you plan to stop your studies for any reason, you must meet with us BEFORE stopping or withdrawing from classes.
- Do NOT let your passport expire! If your visa expires while you are in the US, it should not be a problem as long as your I-20 remains valid.
- Please, note that in order to re-enter the US you are required to present a valid F-1 visa.
Contact us with any questions!