Independent Travel While Abroad
Studying abroad in another country is a rewarding experience and being prepared and aware can help make that experience safe. We know that many students travel independently while overseas, and the CGSE wants to remind you to continue to keep your health and safety a priority during your time abroad. Please review the information below to help maintain your health and safety while overseas.
Please make sure that you enroll in the US State Department's Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP). If you have not done so by the time you land on-site, please do so immediately. You should do this each time you travel to any new destination outside of your main program location.
Before You Travel
- Please download the International SOS app, to get up-to-the-minute safety and security information for the country/countires you will be visiting.
- Visit the International SOS website to log-in to the Dickinson portal with the College's unique Member ID: 11BCAS626216 to research your travel destinations
Here are a few more general tips:
- Remaining alert to your surroundings at all times;
- Avoiding all protests, demonstrations and large public gatherings as they can turn violent;
- Following local, national and international news reports closely;
- Making sure you are communicating your travel plans to onsite staff and/or others before you depart, so that you can be reached in an emergency;
- Walking away at the first sign of trouble, such as suspicious persons, packages or activities;
- Keeping a low profile when in public and avoiding clothing or behaviors that would readily identify you as American
- Keeping your cell phone with you, fully charged and turned on at all times with access to data, responding immediately to any calls or messages from staff abroad or the Center for Global Study and Engagement at Dickinson.
You can always reach someone at Dickinson who can help in an emergency by calling DPS at:
- Business phone: 717-245-1349
- Emergency phone: 717-245-1111
You can always contact International SOS in the event of an emergency as well.
In addition, all students have global medical and travel security assistance through Dickinson for the duration of the program abroad. This also covers independent travel for the time period between the official start and end of the program, except to those locations designated as war risk countries below. For more information on insurance and travel assistance in case of an emergency, please visit the Health, Safety and Security section on the CGSE website.
PLEASE NOTE: the following countries are currently listed on the War Risk list of our insurance provider:
Afghanistan, Algeria, Burkina Faso, Central African Republic, Chad, Chechnya, Democratic Republic of Congo, Egypt, Guinea, India (Jammu & Kashmir), Iraq, Israel including West Bank and Gaza Strip and remaining Occupied Territories, Ivory Coast, Lebanon, Libya, Mali, Nigeria, Pakistan, Somalia, Sudan, Syria, Thailand (Narathiwat, Pattani, Songkhla, and Yala Provinces), Ukraine, Yemen.
We strongly discourage independent travel to these countries and we do not permit travel to countries on the US State Department Warning list. If you travel to any of these countries, you will no longer be covered under the college insurance and travel assistance policies.
You may also review the following sites for more information in traveling as a tourist while abroad:
Please do not hesitate to reach out to us with any questions or concerns.