Learning to Engage the World
The Center for Sustainability Education (CSE) Internship Program employs students to work on projects to advance sustainability at Dickinson. CSE hires up to twelve paid interns each semester (10 hours/week) and up to two in the summer (40 hours/week). We also periodically offer 6-8 hour/week research assistantships. All of our paid internships provide students with a transcript notation of their experience. We also support independent research and project volunteers.
We encourage students from all majors to apply for all positions. We are committed to building a diverse internship team; CSE does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability, religion, age, veteran status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or any other protected class. We cannot pay first year students for these positions.
Positions may vary, but we typically recruit for the following (among others):
- Biking@Dickinson: Management of The Handlebar (our campus bicycle co-operative), coordination of biking listserve, Bike to Farm Potluck, Green Bike Program and bike storage.
- Communications and Outreach: Expanding campus-wide knowledge of sustainability initiatives through social media, events, newsletters, awareness campaigns, tours and outreach.
- Eco-Reps Coordinator: Lead student, faculty and staff volunteer peer educators working to incorporate sustainability into communities at Dickinson.
- Media Creation: Coordinating campus-wide educational programming surrounding Dickinson sustainability projects and campaigns.
- Sustainability Analyst: Collects and analyzes data related to our climate action plan, greenhouse gas emissions and behavior-change initiatives and campaigns.
- The Hive: Coordination of Dickinson's bee cooperative including volunteer management, beekeeping, grounds keeping and events.
- Waste Minimization: Working to reduce waste across the Dickinson College campus.
While each student maintains and enhances the tasks for their position, our internship program is committed to a collaborative setting in which multiple interns work together to initiate and complete college-wide objectives. Things to know about CSE internships.
- Hours: Will not exceed 10/week during the academic year and 40/week for summer internships.
- Compensation: Based on commensurate job experience on campus and special skills. Paid bi-weekly. Students who do an internship for academic credit will not receive pay. Work-study & non work-study students accepted.
- Qualifications: Dickinson students only. Experience as a Dickinson Eco-Rep or as a previous CSE Intern will be given priority, but students of all majors with a passion for sustainability are welcomed to apply. Previous interns must re-apply every semester. We cannot pay first year students for these positions.
- Benefits: Includes research workspace in the Center for Sustainability Education, Kaufman 197, many opportunities for professional development and 24/7 access to CSE resource library.