Building an Inclusive Campus: Spring 2018 Lunchtime Discussion Series
Cosponsored by the President’s Commission on Diversity, the President’s Commission for Women, Gender and Sexuality, and Human Resources
Please feel free to bring your lunch. Beverages are provided by the Office of the Vice President for Institutional Effectiveness and Inclusivity.
- Thursday, February 22: Women in Academia (for faculty only), facilitated by Elise Bartosik-Velez. Join us for a conversation about issues female and gender non-binary faculty face in academia. Topics might include how gender identity impacts your experiences in the classroom or your mentoring relationships with students; professional growth and development; campus politics, etc.
- Thursday, March 1: Women in Academia (for students only), facilitated by Elise Bartosik-Velez and Lillian Freundlich. Additional cosponsor: Dickinson AAUW chapter. Join us for a conversation about issues female and gender non-binary students face in academia. Topics might include gendered patterns of communication in the classroom, experiences with mentoring relationships with faculty, small group/team project dynamics, inclusive curricula, etc.
- Tuesday, March 27: Implicit Bias (open to the campus community), facilitated by Donna Bickford. Join us for a conversation about how implicit bias, a concept referring to the unconscious biases and stereotypes we all have, operates in our community. How does implicit bias impact our experiences at Dickinson? What could we do to be more aware of how implicit bias informs our actions?
- Thursday, April 19: Healthy Masculinities (open to the campus community), facilitated by Jason Brode. Join us for a wide-ranging conversation about healthy masculinities. What narratives about masculinity circulate on our campus? How do they impact our experiences? How can students explore their male identities as they contribute to an inclusive campus?
Research On Women, Gender and Sexuality by Students Symposium (ROWGS)
Thursday, April 19, 2018
Stern Great Room
Research On Women, Gender and Sexuality by Students (ROWGS) symposium is an annual spring semester event sponsored by the Women's, Gender and Sexuality Studies department and the President's Commission for Women, Gender and Sexuality. Students from across the disciplines present their research on women, gender or sexuality. Students showcase their work introducing the faculty and students to the wide range of research on women, gender and sexuality being done across the Dickinson College campus.
Women FAS Luncheons
Friday, May 25, 2018
11:30 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.
The President’s Commission for Women, Gender, and Sexuality will hosts women’s luncheons each semester year to encourage community building and provide an opportunity for us to share our experiences as women on Dickinson’s campus. Main dishes and drinks will be provided, and we ask that each participant bring either a side dish or a dessert.
LGBTQ Health Issues in Pennsylvania
Dr. Rachel Levine, PA Physician Surgeon
Wednesday, September 13
Dr. Rachel Levine, the Physician Surgeon of Pennsylvania, will discuss LGBTQ health issues in Pennsylvania, as well as her thoughts about how this issue relates to civic engagement and ways that we can get involved to promote and protect our communities and our health. Cosponsored with the President's Commission for Women, Gender and Sexuality, the Women's and Gender Resource Center, the Office of LGBTQ Services, the Wellness Center and Health Studies.
Reproductive Health and Reproductive Justice Panel
Monday, October 30, 2017
Please join us to discuss contemporary issues related to reproductive health and reproductive justice. Our expert panelists include Leslie Hall from Planned Parenthood, who will discuss Planned Parenthood's work on reproductive health; Angela Kirkland from This Stops Today Harrisburg, who will talk about the ways in which the extrajudicial killing of black children is a reproductive justice issue; and Professor Katie Oliviero from the Department of Women's, Gender and Sexuality Studies, who will focus on how recent policy efforts and legal decisions attempt to reduce access to reproductive health care on the inaccurate grounds that such restrictions protect women. Refreshments will be served. Cosponsored by the President’s Commission for Women, Gender and Sexuality, the Women's and Gender Resource Center, the Department of Women’s, Gender and Sexuality Studies, and the Wellness Center.
Women FAS Luncheons
The President’s Commission for Women, Gender, and Sexuality will host two women’s luncheons this year to encourage community building and provide an opportunity for us to share our experiences as women on Dickinson’s campus. Main dishes and drinks will be provided, and we ask that each participant bring either a side dish or a dessert.
- Monday, December 18 from 11:30 A.M. – 1:00 P.M. in the Social Hall Center & West
- Spring semester TBD
You can view our 2016-17 events here.
You can find other events of interest on the Women's and Gender Resource Center events page.