Letter of Recommendation
Letters of recommendation, required by potential employers and almost every graduate school application, are a very important part of the application process. In order to prepare a strong and accurate letter of recommendation, please include the following information when making your request to a professor:
- All the courses you have taken with the Professor.
- Grades received in those courses.
- Information about the program or job for which you have applied.
- A brief explanation of why you have chosen the program (be honest) or why a particular job interests you.
- Any internships or job experiences that may serve as indicators of your chances of success.
- GPA in your major.
- Overall GPA.
- Examples of your willingness to take advantage of educational opportunities outside of class.
- Any extracurricular activities that reflect on your ability to organize and finish projects in a timely manner.
- Any extenuating circumstances that reflect on your GPA.
- Any hardships that you have had to endure to achieve your goals.
- A copy of your current resume.
- Essays you have written for your application.
- A web link to the program or call for applications.
Please allow the Professor at least 3 – 4 weeks to prepare your letter of recommendation.