Students are Critical to Sustainability at Dickinson
Students are critical partners in advancing sustainability at Dickinson, and have been a driving force behind many of the College’s sustainability initiatives. Dickinson College encourages student sustainability project ideas, organizational activities and hands-on involvement through workshops, institutional funding and advising to promote our living laboratory model. Students are encouraged to get involved from orientation onward. The opportunities are vast and can come in the form of a paid sustainability internships for Dickinson to riding your bike to the College Farm for a potluck.
Here is a sample of what our students are doing to make a difference:
- Implementing and supporting student-centered projects in more than 50 paid sustainability internships.
- Growing sustainable food for the campus and community at the Dickinson College Organic Farm.
- Protecting water quality across the state of Pennsylvania with ALLARM and community watershed associations.
- Living the good life at the Treehouse, a residence hall for students committed to sustainable living.
- Leading and participating in activities of sustainability-related student organizations.
- Turning waste vegetable oil into renewable fuel in the Biodiesel Shop.
- Installing solar panels across campus.
- Running The Peddler, a bike-propelled coffee cart serving fair trade coffee on campus.
- Teaching each other to maintain and repair bikes at The Handlebar Bicycle Co-Op.
- Serving others by raising and training service dog puppies for children with Autism and other disabilities.
- Fundraising for organizations by selling smoothies from our bike-powered blenders.
- Mentoring their peers in sustainable living practices as Eco-Reps.
- Leading projects and events with the Center for Sustainability Education.
- Taking Sustainability Investigations and Sustainability Connections courses.
- Conducting sustainability-related research with faculty.
- Promoting sustainability as members of the President’s Commission on Environmental Sustainability (PCES).