President's Commision on Environmental Sustainability
Administrators, Faculty & Students Come Together to Serve PCES
The President’s Commission on Environmental Sustainability (PCES) shall work to enable Dickinson College to become a leader for sustainability in higher education through transformative innovations in our curriculum, co-curricular programs, student life, campus culture, campus operations, and interactions with communities beyond the campus.
The Commission shall achieve this mission by guiding at a strategic level all aspects of Dickinson’s efforts in the area of sustainability, monitoring progress and advising the President and other bodies as appropriate. The Commission shall help guide the development and implementation of a strategic vision for sustainability at Dickinson, identify priority actions needed to advance the vision, promote engagement of all spheres of the college, provide a forum to share information across divisions, coordinate cross-divisional efforts, oversee implementation of Dickinson’s Climate Action Plan, and monitor and evaluate progress toward sustainability goals. The full PCES Terms of Reference can be downloaded for more information.
The commission shall meet at least four times each academic year (early fall, late fall, early spring, and late spring) to (a) hear updates on sustainability efforts from the divisions and organizations of the College, (b) provide a forum for discussion of any issues of coordination among divisions and organizations, (c) discuss potential new initiatives in the area of environmental sustainability, and (d) develop and agree on recommendations.
The Commission shall report to and make recommendations to the President for advancing the mission of enabling Dickinson to become a national leader for sustainability in higher education. The Commission also may make recommendations to other bodies of the college. The Commission may, as needed, establish temporary task groups to explore problems, develop options, and propose solutions. Task groups of the Commission may, and typically would, include members who are not members of the Commission.
Current PCES Members
• Stephanie Balmer, Vice President, Enrollment & Communications
• Emily Blau '15, Student
• Jann Ernst, Academic Department Coordinator, Chemistry & Biology Departments
• Neil Leary, Director, Center for Sustainability Education
• Melissa Keebler, Assistant Chief of Staff, Office of the President
• Kristina Kraus '13, Student
• Andy McDonald, Assistant Professor French and Italian
• Thomas Queenan, Vice President, Finance and Campus Operations
• Andy Skelton, Professor, Psychology
• Scott Boback, Professor, Biology
• Ken Shultes, Associate Vice President, Campus Operations
• April Vari, Vice President, Student Development
• Thom Wallace ’99, Alumni for a Sustainable Dickinson College
• Neil Weissman, Provost and Dean of the College
• Candie Wilderman, Professor, Environmental Studies
• Qiaoling Yuan '14, Student
Contact PCES with your thoughts, comments, and questions: