Alumni Volunteer Opportunities
Fill out our Volunteer Interest Form, or contact Laura Wills, Manager of Volunteer Operations at firstname.lastname@example.org or 717-245-1949.
Laura Wills, Manager of Volunteer Operations, PO Box 1773, Carlisle PA, 17103, Phone: 717-245-1949
Volunteers play a critical role in Dickinson’s continued success. It is estimated that we would need to double the size of our alumni, advancement and admissions staff to replace the volunteer time given to the college each year. Volunteering with Dickinson gives you the chance to connect with prospective students, current students, alumni, parents and friends and be part of our community, not just for four years, but for a lifetime. Whatever your interests, we have a role for you.
The Dickinson Admissions Volunteer Society (DAVS) offers an opportunity for alumni to share their enthusiasm with prospective students and their families. Admission volunteers have a direct impact on a student’s decision to enroll, shaping future generations of Dickinsonians. As an admissions volunteer, you can:
- contact prospective students through e-mail, phone or mail
- attend prospective-student receptions in your area
- interview prospective students
- represent Dickinson at college fairs in your area
- meet with interested seniors, counselors and teachers at local high schools
Alumni & Parent Engagement
Stay connected with the college and fellow Dickinsonians throughout the world. As a volunteer, you can:
- be active with Dickinson events in your area – host or plan Dickinson events in your area, and promote them through personal invitations and social media
- help make connections – help plan a reunion for your class or special interest group and keep your classmates informed about Dickinson
- encourage classmates to support the college – contact classmates to encourage their financial support and thank them for their gifts
Students crave “real world” advice and experiences that alumni can offer. You can help a young Dickinsonian launch his or her career by:
- letting the Career Center know when your employer has job openings for graduating students
- speaking to your human-resources office about the value of a Dickinson education and encouraging them to place the Career Center on their mailing (or e-mail) list for job announcements
- letting us know when you or your employer is willing to sponsor an internship (students can participate in the summer, during the academic year or over the January break)
- sharing career experiences through the online Alumni Career Network
- attending events, both on-campus and in your region, to share career insight with students
- or providing students with information about specific fields and other career topics via Skype or on-campus meetings.
Marketing & Communications
The Marketing & Communications department shares news about the college, alumni, faculty and students with both internal and external readers. The department also uses social media and other outlets to connect members of the worldwide Dickinson community. As a volunteer, you can:
- offer story ideas for our various publications
- serve as a class correspondent for your class for the Dickinson Magazine
- and provide contacts at media outlets in your local area.