Tools & Tips for First Year Students
FALL 2013 COURSE OFFERINGS
To search the listings of classes offered in the fall, go to the Registrar’s web page, select the Students tab at top, then select Class Schedule Search. Searching for classes using this link does not require a secure login.
For more information about fall classes, here are some of the key links available from the Registrar’s web page by selecting the Students tab at the top and then Fall 2013 Information:
• Course Priorities – displays which students are given priority for certain courses. You will notice that many courses have reserved seats just for first-year students. This information is also available on the detailed Class Schedule Search.
• Cancelled Classes
• Graduation Requirements & Other Special Courses – directions on finding classes designated as Comparative Civilizations, Quantitative Reasoning, US Diversity, Writing Intensive, etc.
• Additional Music Information – including Performance Studies Instruction & Music Department Ensembles
• Additional Physical Education Information – including First Block, Second Block and Full Semester Block
• Additional Theatre & Dance Information – including Levels of Instruction and Co-Curricular Activities
Banner Self-Service is the web interface that links to the College’s administrative software and is accessible through the Dickinson Gateway. Students use Self-Service to select classes and view their academic records. Faculty use Self-Service to access information about their advisees and students in their classes, and to enter grades. For answers to frequently asked questions about Banner Self-Service check out
Banner & Course Request FAQs.
OTHER IMPORTANT INFORMATION
• Transfer Credits – In order to transfer credits to Dickinson from courses you have taken at another college, you need to submit an official transcript from that college or university. Once we have reviewed it, you will receive an e-mail (in your Dickinson account) from us informing you of any Dickinson College credit awarded. If you earned specific course credit for this work, do not request those same courses – you can receive credit for a course only one time. If you have not heard from us, you should still use this same advice: don’t register for a course that sounds the same as something you have already taken at the college level.
• Advanced Placement – If you took Advanced Placement exams and already know your scores, you should consult our AP Policy on the Registrar’s web page for guidance on credit and/or placement. If you have not already instructed the College Board to send your AP scores to Dickinson College, please do so immediately.
• Language & Math Placement– For questions about the language or math placement exams that you took online, contact the French, German, Spanish, Classical Studies or Math department, as appropriate.
• College Bulletin - Reference this for specific graduation/major/minor requirements, course descriptions and academic regulations.
• Department home pages - These are helpful in obtaining additional information about departmental events and faculty members. Syllabi are often posted on these pages for specific courses.
• Placement (auditions) for music courses and ensembleswill take place at Music Audition Night on the first Tuesday evening of the academic year. Auditions for all Dickinson College Co-Curricular Ensembles are held at this event: Choir, Collegium, Jazz Ensemble, Orchestra and Symphonic Band. Preceding the auditions will be a brief Information Session re: Music Lessons, Scholarships for Lessons, Music Lockers, Instrument rental, Music Dept. Classes and the Music Major/Minor.