Constitution of The Mermaid Players
In Company Assembled April 18, 1997
The name of the organization shall be The Mermaid Players of Dickinson College, whose purpose it shall be to provide and promote experiences in theatre.
Induction into The Mermaid Players shall require a total of 60 hours of participation towards Mainstage and Off-Main productions.
1. Mainstage productions shall be those plays jointly selected by The Mermaid Players and the Department of Dramatic Arts.
2. Off-Main productions shall be independently selected shows approved by the Executive Board.
3. Hours toward Mermaid Players Membership shall be credited as follows:
i. Hours shall be logged for any production related work and work in the shops.
ii. Actors shall be credited 10 hours for on-stage participation per production, for a maximum of 30 hours of the total.
iii. A Stage Manager shall be credited 20 hours, and an Assistant Stage Manager 10 hours per production.
iv. A Director shall be credited 25 hours.
v. An Assistant Director and an Assistant Designer shall be credited at the discression of the Director.
vi. All other Main-Stage production positions shall be credited on a one to one basis. One to one will mean that for every hour worked, an hour towards membership will be credited.
vii. Hours for Off-Main productions shall be credited at the discretion of the Executive Board.
viii. All hours must be verified by a faculty member, member of the Executive Board, shop assistant or assistant designer.
4. Membership status shall be attained upon the completion of 60 verified hours. The ceremonial recognition of new Mermaid Players will occur following the close of the Mainstage Season.
5. For each subsequent production year, a Mermaid Player must complete 25 hours of production work, no more than 10 hours acting, to maintain active Mermaid Player status. Failure to complete this requirement by the close of the Mainstage Season shall result in the suspension of all Mermaid Players privileges. Privileges shall be reinstated upon completion of 25 hours of production work in a subsequent production year. A production year shall be defined as the period of time between the close of one Mainstage Season and the close of the following Mainstage Season.
6. Mermaid Players off-campus for one semester shall be exempt from half of the #5 requirements. Mermaid Players off-campus for a full year shall be exempt from all the #5 requirements.
7. Mermaid Players off-campus shall be deemed inactive, but shall regain their active status upon return.
8. The Executive Board shall decide on any questions concerning membership and credited hours in The Mermaid Players.
Affairs of the organization shall be conducted by the Executive Board.
1. The Executive Board shall consist of one Chairperson and four representatives elected by The Mermaid Players.
2. The Chairperson of the Board shall be responsible for conducting all meetings held under the auspices of The Mermaid Players.
3. Under supervision of the Chairperson, the Board shall fulfill the duties of correspondence, finances, archives and membership.
4. If a vacancy in the position of Chairperson occurs, a new Chairperson shall be elected from the representatives of the executive Board by The Mermaid Players.
5. If a vacancy on The Executive Board occurs, the position shall be filled by a special election of The Mermaid Players.
6. The Board shall be responsible for overseeing all special committees, specific concerns and projects.
7. The Faculty Advisor of The Mermaid Players shall be appointed by the Chairperson of the Department of Dramatic Arts.
The Mermaid Players shall elect an ad hoc Play Advisory Committee to research and recommend plays for the upcoming Mainstage Season.
1. This committee shall be composed of two Mermaid Players from each class elected at a General Meeting. The Executive Board shall also sit on this committee.
2. The plays selected for performance shall be mutually agreed upon by the Play Advisory Committee and the Department of Drwnatic Arts.
A minimum of three General Meetings per Academic Year shall be called by the Chairperson.
1. The Mermaid Players shall be notified by the Executive Board at least one week in advance of the time, place and agenda of a meeting.
2. The Chairperson may call special meetings at the discretion of The Executive Board.
3. A meeting shall require a quorum to be official.
4. A quorum shall consist of one-third of the active Mermaid Players.
Rules of procedure and mechanics may be proposed by any Mermaid Player, and shall be enacted by a majority vote at a meeting of The Mermaid Players. Concerning all questions of procedure and conduct, The Mennaid Players shall accept rulings given in Robert's Rules of Order, subject to the discretion of the Chairperson.
Elections for the Executive Board shall be held following the close of the Mainstage Season.
1. Nominations may be made in two ways:
i. Willing Mermaid Players may file their nomination with a Board representative.
ii. Nominations will be accepted from the floor during the meeting for elections, with the consent of the nominee.
2. Nominees may, at their discretion, speak on their own behalf. Should a nominee not be present, the Chairperson may recognize any Mermaid Player to speak for the absent nominee.
3. Each Mermaid Player present shall vote for five separate nominees. The five nominees receiving the highest number of votes shall sit on the Executive Board.
4. The nominee receiving the highest number of votes shall be the Chairperson.
5. A tied vote, which places more than five persons on the Board, shall be put before the Mermaid Players for a re-vote.
6. The newly elected Executive Board shall be instated at the end of the academic year in which they were elected.
Amendments to the Constitution may be proposed by a group of not less than four Mermaid Players. Such proposals must be submitted in writing, together with the names of the sponsors, to the Executive Board, and shall be brought to the floor for vote at a meeting publicized at least one week in advance. A written copy of the amendment proposed and a notification of the date on which the amendment shad be considered shall be posted. Enactment of the amendment shall require an affirmative vote by two-thirds of all The Mermaid Players, not including the Chairperson.
The Constitution must be ratified by two-thirds of The Mermaid Players. The Executive Board shall be elected under the guidelines of the new Constitution. The Constitution shall be in effect upon the institution of the new Executive Board.
The Members of The Mermaid Players Constitutional Committee:
Tara Flynn, Chairperson of the Memraid Players
Kristen A. Chirillo, David McCallum, John McCullough,
Jeff Peck, Benjamin Ryan, Jennifer Thornton, and Peter Williams