Required Clearances and Health Tests
PA law requires that a series of clearances be completed for people who come into direct contact with children in schools. Most states have similar regulations. Dickinson is required by PA law to meet the requirements imposed by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania in their effort to protect the well being of children. All students are required to complete the following clearances for EDUC 221 Educational Psychology:
1. FBI: required fingerprinting done by Cogent Systems in Pennsylvania. Cogent's cost is $28.75 (paid by the student; credit card or money order required) which includes an unofficial copy of results mailed to applicant.
2. Child Abuse: a clearance completed by PA law enforcement officials. Cost $10 (Student Accounts Office bills the student's account upon registering for EDUC221 Educational Psychology.
3. Criminal Background: a clearance completed by PA law enforcement officials. Cost $10 (Student Accounts Office bills the student's account upon registering for EDUC221 Educational Psychology.
4. PPD tine test: done by the Dickinson College Health Center. Cost $10 (paid by the student to the Health Center ) Note: students can provide verification of the test done by another physician on the form provided by the college. Click here for the Staff Health Assessment Form for the PPD tine test.
5. PDE 6004 Arrest/Conviction Report and Certification Form (Act 24 of 2011): required form to be kept on file for all students.
Students who have registered for EDUC221 Educational Psychology will receive the required forms and an explanation of all procedures during the first week of classes. The total cost for clearances and health tests is $58.75. The clearances will be accepted for all field experiences while enrolled at Dickinson. Results of completed clearances are required in order to receive a passing grade for the class. Assuming no change in the State or School District policies, once clearances have been completed, they will not need to be done again for any course or student teaching while you are enrolled at Dickinson .
Students who transfer to Dickinson and receive credit for the transfer of Educational Psychology will be required to complete all clearances listed above.
Students are required to provide their own transportation to field experiences. Educational Psychology placements are normally in Carlisle (within 1.5 miles of campus). Most students walk to those locations. Field experiences in all other courses are in Carlisle and regional schools. They are within easy driving distance of the college.
Instructions to Check on Status of Criminal and Child clearances directly with the Agencies
PA Child Abuse History Clearance Status:
If you have not received your final results after 2-3 weeks of submission of your application, please call the Childline and Abuse Registry, Department of Public Welfare (DPW), in Harrisburg, PA at 717 783-6211 between 8:30-11 a.m. and 1-4 PM Monday thru Friday.
If the agency mailed the FINAL PROCESSED RESULTS to the student but the student never received them due to getting lost in the mail, it is possible to get a DUPLICATE sent to him/her. THERE WILL BE NO "FREE" REPLACEMENTS AFTER 90 DAYS!
To do so, the student must fill out another Child Abuse form (no additional fee charged 2nd time if requested within 90 days of original request), mail to Department of Public Welfare at the address shown on the upper left hand corner of DPW's application, and mark "Duplicate" on the application and the "outside" of the envelope so agency knows not to charge you again. For faster service, please mail using "overnight service".
For a copy of the Department of Public Welfare CHILD Clearance application, click here. For a "Sample" copy of the CHILD Clearance application to follow for completing for Dickinson College classes, please click here.
PA Criminal History Clearance Status:
Students can retrieve their PA criminal history clearances from the PATCH website https://epatch.state.pa.us for one year after applying for the clearance. This access is free of charge. At the website, click on "Record Check" and then "Check Status." Complete personal information (Control #, full name, and date of original request), click "Search" and then click on the "Control #" field to reveal the results page. Click on "Certification Form" to print a copy. Questions should be directed to the PATCH office at 1-888-783-7972.
FBI Fingerprinting Results Status:
What happens if I do not receive my copy of the Federal Criminal History Record?
After your fingerprints have been submitted, do not contact the fingerprint site. Do not contact Cogent Systems. Cogent Systems does not have the means to give the applicant the status of their background check nor are they involved in the summary execution of your background check. If the applicant does not receive the Federal Criminal History Record from PDE within eight weeks after being fingerprinted, they should call (717) 783-3750 or email PDE at email@example.com.